Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Gays of my life.

When asked to describe myself by someone on twitter this week I went with 30% Punky Brewster, 20% Dame Edna, 15% CC Bloom, 5% Orphan Annie and the rest a mix of anxiety, vodka and glitter.

I am camp as tits. There is no denying it. My 6 best friends in the whole world are gay men. For those of you who follow me on twitter you will be WELL aware of this. These boys have been with me a very long time, I would lay down and die for them. Between them- a writer, director/model, fashion designer, make-up artist, jewelry designer and University lecturer. I thought perhaps you'd all like to meet the men in my life, it may start to read like an intro for perfect match however that's perfect in itself - considering the subject matter. 

Let's meet them, I am going to go in order of appearance in my life..

Michael - Friends since 1991













I met Michael in year 7, we attended the same high school and were thrust together because our Mothers shared a work place. We had somewhat of an under-cover friendship, me being the jock him being the theater nerd. I didn't see him for 10 years after I left school and then he re-appeared in my life 3 years ago, ironically when he was grappling with his sexuality. He came out, he went back in and then he came back out again.(Note to reader:It would appear that I am some sort of oracle for young men who are straddling the lines of homo land and hetero ville.) Michael is my moral compass, he is also the smartest person I know. He is the one I call in my darkest hours. He is a very talented writer and has his 1st feature film coming out next year. Michael has an understanding of Disney Musicals akin to none. His 4 main fears in life are; environmental catastrophe, fundamentalism, snake bites and getting fat.  

Lyndon - Friends since 1998















Lyndon was born fabulous.He is the most UNIQUE person I have ever met. He has a depth that precious few get to see and some life rules that need to be witnessed to be believed. 
HE LOVES CHEAP. This man is the bargain shopper to END ALL bargain shoppers... Lyndon is much older than he looks and has never had any sort of cosmetic surgery - WHY? This man has not raised his eyebrows since 1995 such is his self control, he often scolds me for frowning and smiling to aggressively. "Emy, do you know why I have not one wrinkle? It's called self control. I don't move anything from my nose up". 
He is a designer and has a very successful label called "Stevie".
Lyndon and I spend an obscene amount of time watching vintage soapies together. 

Dan - Friends since 1999














Clearly Dan is beautiful. That is the least interesting thing about him. We bonded over our mutual love of Joan Cusack one day while I tried on bathers. He was working and managed to coax me out of the change room by giving a Kath Day-Knight esq speech.  Dan is an up and coming director, writer and producer. He's is, also,  SEX -ON- LEGS -oozes it. Women, men and probably animals find him near impossible to resist. He's a complicated soul and the lowest maintenance of all my boys. We float in an out of each others lives with huge intensity. I think sometimes after we've been together we both feel the need to retreat to our respective worlds for a small period of time to recover! 

Todd - Friends since 1999















Hot Toddy and I met on the dance floor. My children also know him as "hot Toddy" that's just how he rolls. He is an amazing dancer and the master of picking up, the man has moves that would blow your mind! Todd is passionate, stubborn, generous and kind. He is a jewelry designer - amongst other things and feels the perfect tan can fix most things. Toddy is the wild one of this lot, every big night I ever have has involved him. He rides a vespar and looks best in a tight white t-shirt. 



Tre - Friends since 2000















"Treyonce" is my gorgeous blue eyed Gaysian. He is a make-up artist and some what of an enigma.. Tre is quite the Thai lady in that he's an amazing wheeler and dealer. Tre has been known to get us some amazing upgrades in our time. Find whatever it is you desire and Tre will get a "deal" on it for you. He is very generous and often presents me with goodie bags full of make-up samples and sequined leggings! Tre's adventurous, easy going and glamourous. Each season he sets himself a theme to follow fashion wise, this year - ladies and gentlemen we're on a fashion safari.

Dean - Friends since 2008















Dean is a relatively recent addition. I met him when I was living in Perth, Dean is an entirely different beast to the other yahoos. He's quiet, reflective and still. Dean held me together when I was falling apart in the most spectacular way. He has rushed to my aid on numerous occasions and never once held my foul behavior against me. I have vomited in his car, cried in his arms and done the Paris underground gay scene with him - we're tight. I think when Dean first met me he was relieved to discover that there was a more disturbed and sensitive soul out there than him! Dean is the scholar of this bunch, Masters, Phd's blah blah blah. 

So there you have it, a self indulgent  reference point of the some of the most important people in my life. Now when I write of them in the weeks to come you'll feel as though you're right there with us.

I sincerely hope you have friends like mine.

E x

1 comment:

From Ottawa to Oz said...

Love it!

I too seem to attract all sorts of gay men, lesbians and everything in between - perhaps Dan and I share a common gene? Although I don't claim to be sex on a stick.

Thank you for sharing - I do have friends as special as yours and find myself missing most of them often!